23 February 2006

#4154

Another bland day on the bus - newspaper guy was back in place, bicycle guy and a couple of other semi regulars. There was a new man who got off at ASU - he was noticeable mostly because he wore all cream colored clothing - nicely dressed with a jacket and slacks and a shirt. He carried a small shopping bag - almost boutique-like. He walked ahead of me and lit a cigarette as soon as he got off the bus. Amazing how that smoke lingers in the air - yuch. He was neatly put together but had a very extreme pot belly - looked like a pregnant woman. I'm thinking he likes his alcohol - it really looked like the swollen belly of a drinker, especially since the rest of him was quite trim. The way he dove for that cigarette, too. There was a desparation quality and I know how smokers want their cigarettes, but he had it poised to light the minute he stepped off the bus. A little too frantic. Boy, where do I get off making all these assumptions? Just being observant and applying my knowledge and some deductive reasoning.

Dave used the term "bigwig" today - he uses it often, actually. There's a note of derision when he says it so I must assume he has authority issues. I wondered about the origins of "bigwig", figuring it had to come from England and the wigs. Googled it and found a site called "The Phrase Finder" - sure enough, "bigwig" is a slang word for important person and originates from the English courts where wigs are worn. All my reading pays off again.

No comments: