11 April 2006

#4122

Nice day on the bus. The second bicycle guy was back. He gets off at ASU, and I bet he's an employee, not a student. Doesn't carry a backpack or some other kind of bag and that's usually the first student clue. With the increased parking decal rates, I bet we get more like him as time goes on.

Dave and I discussed his in-depth article about the "white cop on the res." I like to play devil's advocate and he holds up pretty well. He still has a lot of attitude about authority and he adores using "mother f--kin'" and "white mother f--kers" - he repeats the quotes as often as possible and uses that to justify the allegation that there is racism against whites on the reservation. I bet there is lots of hate and racism against whites, but a drunken NA screaming racial epithets while being arrested does not seem to me to be enough evidence to proclaim rampant racism. I want journalism students to become responsible reporters; not just looking for an angle and using sensationalism to make something compelling. I think tunnel vision reporting reveals nothing of substance and only fans the racist flames. I think I've gotten a bit editorial here and definitely off bus talk.

The best thing about today was the smoke hair lady - she sat next to me and I did not detect even the faintest hint of smoke. Not sure what that was I picked up the other day, but it most likely did not come from her. She was aromatically pure and if she's a serious smoker, that would be impossible. Maybe she never was the smoker? Maybe she lived with a heavy smoker and was wearing another's aroma? Maybe that relationship is over and she can join the ranks of the pure of smell? Oh the speculations one can create. She listened to me and Dave a bit and added several comments. It was quite nice on many accounts - think I'll change her name to big hair instead of smoke hair.

No comments: