29 March 2006

#4122

Zippity-do-dah! An interesting day on and off the bus. Our miniscule number of regulars was on the bus - newspaper guy, bicycle guy, big coffee cup lady, Dave and me. We cruised down Mill Avenue and Dave talked about his in-depth story of a white policeman on the res. After a ride-along, he thought there was a big racism issue and the officer he thought would give him an interview apparently didn't see the "curse the white man" attitude of the Indians as racism. It upset Dave's story plan and I can see how reporters end up creating news. They have a story idea and a deadline and if things don't work out as envisioned, "creative" interviewing and writing could result. I think Dave is too principled to invent a story, but he wants to find the racism angle and is looking for someone to tell that viewpoint. Like an attorney leading the witness, eh? Might be pushing the line of impartial reporting, even though he said they are being taught to tell "both" sides of every story. When's the last time you read both sides?

Well, I digress from things bus. Anyway, we got to Southern and - oh happy day - the professor and engineering guy got on the bus. I just love it when EG rides as he's always good for some interesting tidbit. He twisted around on the seat and I heard him say he wasn't ignoring them (meaning newspaper guy and bicycle guy), he just had to face forward or backward. I assume he was indicating potential for car sickness. Odd since I've seen him stand sideways in the bus for almost the whole trip and never indicated he was near hurling. Possibly a new affliction? A bit later I heard the phrase, numerical analysis - another EG gem. I think there was other hubbub type talk, but Dave was talking, too, and my ears don't multi-hear as well as I'd like.

We all got off and walked down Gammage Parkway. Dave asked EG about being in absentia from Jack-in-the-Box and EG said he found a new way to snug down in Noble Library. Dave said that was nice, but no dollar burgers in Noble. EG agreed and then segued into an observation that desirous things are rarely good for us. I thought about it and decided chocolate is most definitely desirous and not too harmful, so I announced "chocolate". A brief discussion followed about overindulgence and Dave announced "Morel mushrooms". That hung out there for a second or two and I announced "chocolate covered mushrooms". Dave was enthusiastic, but I think it shocked EG. I told him anything was better with chocolate on it, even asparagus. Just replace the Hollandaise with hot fudge and you're good to go. We turned on Forest Mall and eventually EG took his leave. I think he wasn't sure what to do with Dave and me and might be a little tilted all day after the discussion. Bet he hopes he never gets gray hair.

No comments: