16 March 2006

#4122

This is actually a false post. I drove to work today - going to Flo for the weekend. I was laughing on last night's ride home, so thought I'd post it today as a filler. Caught the 4PM bus at 10th and Mill and ridership was light considering the time of day. Of course, it is spring break and with no ASU or Tempe Union High School students, not much left to fill the seats. About two stops after I got on, a man boarded wearing the headphones belonging to some portable audio device. He was in his late 40's, early 50's and dressed in shabby business casual. He dropped into the front seat, across from two young girls. The girls were laughing and joking and I think he assumed he was the cause of their laughter. They had been that way since I got on the bus, but he didn't know and made the leap that he was the source of their humor. He commented to them about his music, pointing to himself and saying, "see, I'm hip." At that, they did laugh and I believe it was at, not with, him. Eventually, the bus emptied and as we approached Rural and Guadalupe there was only me, the driver, the man and another woman on the bus. Suddenly, the man started singing along with his music! It was hideous - even the finest vocalist can't sing well with earphones and this man's vocals were not fine. The other woman and I looked at each other in amazement and I saw the bus driver look up into his rearview mirror. The other woman got off the bus, the ride continued, and so did the singing. At Lakeshore, the bus was stopped at the light and the driver turned around, took off his sunglasses and just stared. I was laughing and he looked at me and said, "what are you laughing at?" It surprised me and I just pointed to the back of the bus and said, "Him." The driver turned around and I pulled the cord for my stop. The driver had been so unfriendly, I wasn't sure he'd stop, but he did and when I said thank you, he said thank you. First really cranky driver and definitely my first bus vocalist. Image today has to be a music player.

1 comment:

Geoff said...

I've been looking around for other bus bloggers to swap links with, there arn't many, we are a rare breed. See if you like my blog!