18 January 2006

#4150

Another 4100 bus - there are signs on the buses about new buses coming, but I'm thinking route 66 doesn't qualify - we're a small market route and I think it's going to stay that way. I don't really care as long as the buses run - see one broken down every now and then. Wouldn't be so bad in winter, but a summer breakdown could get testy.

School started yesterday and I rode the bus but didn't have time to blog - nothing exceptional happened so I'll make this a two-for-one post. Today was actually pretty tame, too. A few regulars, but not as chippy as last semester. Maybe it's the weather. It is cold and it makes hibernation seem like a viable option. There are quite a few apartment complexes in half the ride and I wonder, too, if people move. Arizona is quite the transient state and moving is a way of life. That would account for many of the missing regulars.

Speaking of regular, we have no regular driver. Wonder what happened to my little printing pirate friend? It's more fun when the driver gets to know you. The driver today was a crank. We got on and the first thing he says to me is, "You need a light." I know our stop is dark, but didn't realize it was my duty to light the area - I'm supposed to carry a torch or something so he can see? It's not an unreasonable request, he just made the request unreasonably. Then, Dave was behind me, and the driver yelled at him for tossing his cigarette in front of the bus. Said, "What if I had a gas leak and you tossed your cigarette there?????" Again, a valid point, but made in a very unfriendly, confrontational way. You would have thought Dave was 5 years old and was receiving severe discipline. We both kept our mouths shut and the driver eventually moved on to other things. Hope he doesn't get our little route too often - would prefer he did not become the regular.

No comments: