25 January 2006

#4128

A bit better on the bus today. At least more people, but still very quiet. A couple more regulars (fall) and one new (spring) regular. Wonder if some of the former regulars are riding at a later (or earlier ?!?!?) time? Students might adjust because class times change, but there are people with real jobs and those don't usually change. Here I am trying to organize the bus riders - need to just sit back and observe.

When I got on the bus, the driver (again, NOT a regular ... hmmmmmmm .....) said, "I almost didn't see you." I know it's dark and can't help but wonder what I'm supposed to do? Buy a reflective white coat to wear? I had on a long white scarf, my bag is light khaki and my hair! For gawdsakes - if my hair isn't white enough for them to see - it even glows in the light so it can't be invisible in those headlights! I can't see them and they can't see me. What are we gonna do about this? I thought about putting the flashing red reflector on my bag, but it might just look like a bicyclist in the roadway. Maybe I'll try it tomorrow and see if the next driver says anything. Not sure why I should be responsible for being seen ... it's a bus stop and people can be at any stop, any time. Why can't the driver just slow down and observe? I don't want to own reflective clothing or carry a torch - need to think through the power of this one.

No comments: