23 January 2006

#4144

Monday morning and by the time we reached our stop at ASU, there were only 4 of us on the bus. Unprecedented! There was a man (not regular) on the bus when it arrived at our stop. Dave and I got on and we picked up a guy at Mill and Southern. It was unbelievably empty, especially for so early in the week. Is it a holiday and no one told me? Should I still be in bed sleeping? Dave was there, so he, too, thought today was a legitimate work/school day ... where is everyone? Almost like those old Arby's commercials. Is anybody there??????

The height of the morning occurred at the bus stop. I was standing and doing my keep-warm dance steps when a loud noise caught my attention. Sounded like a monster truck coming down the street and as I looked east on Guadalupe, there was a set of twin headlights fully capable of being a loud vehicle. As the lights neared, it became apparent that the twin headlights belonged to two seriously large, loud motorcyles, and as they passed, they honked! Or beeped ?!?!? Not sure how to define the noise of a biker dude's horn (noise maker?). Somehow honk and beep and horn don't seem appropriate words to go along with bike, biker, biker-dude - conceptually, horn, beep and honk don't get it. Have to think about that for awhile.

We noticed that we still don't have a regular driver. Had a new woman today. Dave suggested perhaps recently released prisoners could be given bus routes to drive - he thought it would give them a sense of purpose and teach them responsibility. Not to mention that they probably could easily handle the occasional unruly passenger. A noble idea, but my prosecutorial experience taught me that most criminals are criminals because they can't seem to make good choices. Give them the choice between an obviously good idea and an obviously bad one and they pick the bad choice every time. To top it off, they never see how their choice/behavior/decision is the cause of their troubles. It's always, always, always someone or something else that is to blame. Kind of like OJ - her behavior made him kill them - he had no choice, eh? Given all this, not sure I want repeat offenders driving buses - neither the buses I'm on nor the ones I drive near. A large motor vehicle full of people is not the place to be making bad choices.

Wow, did I just lecture on or what????? Pardon me, but I hardly ever get to speak about prosecution these days. I'm off the soapbox and back to the web.

No comments: