30 May 2006

#4153

And yet another interesting day on the bus. Riders were in scarce supply. Dave and I were it until Mill and we picked up the two repeater-nearly-regular ladies at their respective stops. That was it - no irregulars, wannabes, semi-interested or otherwise. Kind of a surprise since today is the first day of classes for ASU's summer sessions. However, it is also the day after a long, Memorial Day weekend, and I'm sure some extended holidays are being observed. I believe either bicycle or newspaper guy is vacationing this whole week. We'll see what the rest of the days bring.

What made the bus day interesting wasn't the lack of ridership but rather the lack of air in the right front tire. The tire wasn't completely flat; however, it was heading in a downward spiral and the driver was in touch with the powers-that-be, attempting to procure a new bus or mechanic. At Rural and Guadalupe, the driver hopped out of the bus to check it and while he was calling the garage, Dave and I took turns hopping out to view the situation. It was my first ever bus off-and-on after boarding and it was delightful. I guess the sentiment is true to "be careful what you wish for." In a previous post, I mentioned a secret desire to be on a bus that breaks down. Didn't expect it to occur so soon. Sadly, the driver thought he could make it to College and 6th St, which is past my bus departure point, so I didn't get the thrill of a malfunction-related bus transfer. Close, though.

No comments: