01 June 2006

#41 whatever

I looked at the number but absolutely can't recall. Oh well, c'est la vie! Today we'll cover some random topics - a bit of blog housekeeping. First want to note that Engineering Guy (aka Mike) has kindly provided some very interesting weblinks to help explain one of the terms that he used and I mentioned in a previous post. The term in question is "ductile fracture" and his links are contained in a comment he made at this bus blog post. Link 1 is an "Introduction to Fracture Mechanics" - is that cool, or what? Quantum physics, fracture mechanics - these words just roll on the tongue and beg to be repeated. Not to mention that there is a science devoted to studying fractures - ductile failure, tensile strength, etc. These things affect our lives and most of us don't even know they exist. Kudos for the links, EG!

Another facet of the day (and days to come) is Dave's class in American Sign Language. He needs to practice, so he will use our bus stop wait time to teach me what he's learned - adding to my knowledge base and reinforcing his. Today I learned "same", "different" and "nice" and reviewed how to communicate my name or ask the name of another. Could be an interesting summer - thought it was worthy of "image of the day."

Want to note how the bus provides more than mere transportation - EG's studies, Dave's sign language. Yesterday, newspaper guy learned I was shopping for and told me about his replacement windows. The bus - a virtual buffet of information.

No comments: