22 June 2006

#4131

Yeah, I got the number - apparently the gray cells are not on vacation. Today wasn't eventful, just another bus ride. Newspaper guy, Dave and I had command of the brain trust area and a young woman got on fairly early and joined us. For some reason today, Dave took off his ball cap. I was getting sun in the face, so I put on my big raffia ray-resistor. He always wears a cap and I save my hat for campus walking but today we went polar opposite. Newspaper guy never has a hat, but since he brings the paper and sits in the back in a commanding position, I gave him an honorary admiral's hat, constructed of, what else ... newspaper, in today's image.

Yesterday, there was a young man sitting on the back seat with newspaper guy when we got on the bus. He kind of joined in the conversation and even read some of the paper. Today, we got on the bus and the same young man was on again, but not in the BTA. Instead, he was sitting on the lower level, next to the BTA. He was on the seat facing the front of the bus with his legs stretched out over the whole seat. He had bags and, frankly, looked like he planned to become a permanent fixture on the bus. We got lots of riders and I was curious if he would move if the seat area his legs occupied was needed. The timing was such that as a new person got on, someone else got off and no one needed the space. He might have been asleep — I was above him, looking down and couldn't see his face. I like riding the bus, but sure wouldn't want to make it my home. Curious to see if he's there tomorrow. Care to wager?

No comments: