21 June 2006

what's in the bag?

Haven't blogged for a few. Work is busy and the morning ride has been so normal as to be nearly a yawn. Last night's ride, however, was a different matter. I opted to catch the bus at Stadium Drive and College Avenue. It's a bit of a hike from my building, but that's the point. I sit all day and need to stretch out my legs. The heat doesn't bother me if I keep the pace moderate, and I get to see more of campus. Anyway, as I approached the intersection where College deadends into University, there were three police cars on the sidewalk and lawn and two more parked in the street. I pushed the button to cross and a little man, standing in front of me, stepped back and said, "It's a suspicious bag. That's why they're all around here. Better hurry and get out of the way." The light changed, I crossed University and went on down toward the bus stop, wondering if they were going to hold the buses and if I was in for a long evening. Other buses were leaving, but mine hadn't arrived and I was afraid they might not let them enter College Avenue. The time came and so did the bus, so the emergency hadn't expanded to public transportation. However, instead of going south on College and turning west on University, our driver was forced to turn west at 6th Street (2 blocks earlier than usual) and we went to Forest before heading over to University. It was completely blocked to traffic and the backup and nightmare was just beginning. We slid on by and I wasn't even a little late getting home. This morning, newspaper guy asked if we got caught in it and showed me an article in the paper saying the streets were blocked for 4-1/2 hours while they dealt with the "suspicious bag". Apparently it was full of clothes and of no harm to anyone. The owner probably sat it down while they talked to someone and walked away, forgetting it. Imagine reading the paper today and finding out your missing bag immobilized Tempe for 4+ hours! Don't think I'd be hurrying over to the policed department to claim my property.

No comments: