18 November 2005

#I don't know

Sorry to disappoint, but I completely forgot to look at the bus number. I'm sure it was just one of the 4100 boys - nothing remarkable. I have a book I'm reading and have become a bit obsessive about getting to it ASAP on the bus. Really hampers my observations, but I must finish. Need to use a book while waiting for the bus and not so much while on the bus.

Last night's ride home was a blast. The bus was full and I was going to stand, but a kind person made space for me in the front seat - wedged between one of the morning regulars and a seriously large girl. The bus kept getting more passengers and a guy got on and hit me full in the face with his backpack. No big deal and he was very apologetic. Eventually, the regular rider to my left got off and the backpack guy sat down. He asked if I rode this bus often and I said every day, but not at this time. He laughed and said it looked like I wouldn't be riding it at 5pm in the near future. I said I would avoid if possible. Told him how nice and uncrowded the 6am bus was and the large girl to my right agreed and another man said the 5:30 am was even nicer, but it took him an hour to get to work. I said I worked at ASU and had a nice, short ride. Backpack guy asked if I was a professor and I told him I did web things and was a student. He seemed a wee bit surprised and I said I didn't go earlier in life and when the opportunity arose with the tuition waiver, I took it. Told him I was graduating in December and he was so nice. Kept saying, "that's cool" and "good for you". His enthusiasm made the whole thing worthwhile.

That's what's so nice about the bus - these small group interactions - might never see any of these people again, but we chatted like old friends for a few minutes and the trip and day and life were better for it.

No comments: