22 September 2005

#4151

Today I took the 6:30 bus instead of 6 am - for reasons not easy to describe. Anyway, the bus was 4151 and it, too, is an outstanding piece of buscraft. Same solid, dependable feel as 4132. A guy with a bike got on at my stop - never said a word. This driver was very nice - the crowd was very quiet. Hard to say who is "regular" on it, but it just felt like there wasn't as much community to these riders as there is on the 6am route. Not unfriendly, just not friendly.

Had a comment on Tuesday's post. The commentator noted that riding the bus as a child was particularly satisfying after a lot of walking or standing, especially during inclement conditions. It invoked the mental thought, "The bus is here. We're saved!" An interesting counterpoint to some who find the different characters on the bus to be terrifying and just wishing the ride would be over. The innocent eyes and thoughts of a child. No matter how long I ride, I find I get a little bitty adrenaline boost when the bus comes rolling to a stop - I know deep down there's mental language saying, "I did it right and it worked! I got myself to the right place at the right time and by gosh, the bus arrived - it worked!" Must not have much faith in systems.

No comments: