09 June 2008

Iris Infiniti

Took the 6:57am 81N today, but need to write about Friday.

As previously discussed, gas prices continue to climb with $60+ tank fill-ups the new standard. As a loyal, almost 3-year bus rider, I rarely experience the pain of fuel costs and avoid the heart-stopping effect of large digits at the pump. Friday, I learned that, apparently, some of my co-workers, too, discovered the frugality of the bus.

With some errands to run, I decided to drive to work on Friday. Quite possibly only the 3rd or 4th time my car has been to ASU in the past 3 years, I just decided to drive. When exiting the building, two women who work in our college passed by as I came out the door. We exchanged greetings and the one woman noted my car keys in my hand.

"Driving?" she asked.

"Yes," I said, "decided to leave the bus at home and bring the car today."

"Well . . ." she said, through pursed lips, "WE'RE taking the bus home. See you later." and off they walked (or stalked!).

I was flummoxed. Loyal, persistent, bus-blogging, public transportation advocate and I had just been trumped by a couple of Green Queen Wannabes! Any passerby hearing the tone of her voice would take me as a spendthrift, panda-hunting, child-spanking, carbon monoxidng eviledoer. Of all the nerve! Bandwagon jumpers!

I hope they had a good trip on the bus and I also hope there might exist a great big ledger somewhere that contains the tally of all my bus riding days. I hope, I hope.

No comments: