18 June 2008

#6605

Yesterday afternoon I wanted to take the 3:45PM 81S. A wee bit late leaving the office, I hustled to the transit center at College and University and waited. And waited. And waited. Hustling in 112+ degrees leaves the body hot and sweaty. Standing about and waiting in 112+ degrees only makes things worse. After two bottles of water and watching dozens of 72s and a couple of 81Ns come and go, a bus finally turned the corner . . . and the sign read "81 ASU Research Park" - at last!

Stepping on the bus, I knew instantly, this bus had not been long on the road. That lovely new car/bus smell drifted through the air - the fixtures gleamed and the floor, pristinely clean. The newest of the new, no forward facing seats existed in the front lower section - only two long lines of seats facing each other - similar to an underground/subway car, only padded and comfy. The mezzanine level configured like all other buses. I sat right-front, next to the wheel cover, and marveled at the beauty. I decided they must have unpacked the bus just before sending it on our route as, I swear, I found bits of styrofoam dust on the wheel cover.

The trip began and it ran like a dream. No bumps, grinds, squeals, squalls or other ear-splitting, body bruising events. It rode as though on a cloud. Best of all, instead of cords along the window tops to pull and signal a stop, they put buttons on all the vertical support bars - even near the front door! Such a brilliant move and I could hardly wait for my chance to push for my stop. My dilemma - which button to push? With a pole on the wheel cover and a pole immediately to my left, I waited until the last minute and then reacted - left! I pushed the button on the left pole! The signal rang and the bus glided smoothly to a stop.

What a ride.

No comments: