27 December 2006

#4154

Missed a few days for the holiday vacation. For years, ASU closed down for the two weeks surrounding the winter holidays - an alleged money savings move. A couple of years ago the then-new university president declared the savings a myth and now the university is "open" - business as usual except for the four specific holiday observance days. The bus ride belies the "open"ness of the situation as Dave and I owned the craft until the ride was well half over. Most ASU employees schedule additional vacation days to fill in and create an extended holiday, so I felt no surprise at the paucity of riders. Dave told me he used the bus on christmas day and it was quite empty. Dave said all bus rides are free that day and despite the freebie, he rode solo most of the time. The drivers are probably compensated with double time and a half pay that day and no revenue is generated. Nice gesture for the bus company.

The coat guy got on today but not wearing a football jacket. He had a Cleveland Cavaliers cap and his jacket said "hockey" on the front and four Warner Brothers cartoon characters filled the back. Without direct touching, not sure if I can find out if these jackets are real leather. They look a bit vinyl and I can't figure out how to get tactile with his sleeve in any subtle way to check out the real vs. faux situation. He never comes up to the BTA, just stays on the seat near the back door since he only rides about two stops worth. I'll figure something out.

Image today is a new quilt block I'm trying to design. I like the rotation - wish I could do some screen printing to catch the effect of multiples of the inner square. Sure do miss the big print tables in the fiber studio.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes I went back to the grindstone today too, though like yourself I didn't find the bus that busy...Was surprised to hear you mention buses on Christmas Day - that's a big no-no in most British towns and cities - I shouldn't think many places other than big cities saw much on Boxing Day either...Do you get buses on Thanksgiving Day too or is that the biggy with you?

Like the quilting design - simple yet striking

Unknown said...

They might change the schedule to run once an hour vs. two or four times an hour, but you can always get a bus on a holiday. Christmas day is the only really sacrosanct holiday with 99% of everything being shut down. Thanksgiving used to be similar, but the retailers saw it as a way to jumpstart Christmas sales so I'd say 75% of the retailers now have some open hours on turkey day.