18 December 2006

#4143


Missed on Friday - daughter drove me to work and I never pass up a chance to visit with my offspring. Ridership is way down. School is out for the winter break, but I never felt the 6am66 was awash with students. Students don't usually break the bond with their blankets until the last possible minute and the earliest classes don't begin until 7:40 AM - only the most industrious would get to school an hour early. It is dark, dark, dark right now and maybe people forget to wake up? That's assuming they don't use alarm clocks. I find I don't want to crawl out of bed in the dark and I'm easy to rise. Oh well, guess I don't care how many are riding as long as the bus continues to arrive. Mark and Dave are foggy with colds - glad I got mine out of the way before the surgery. They don't seem to have the cough, just lots of nasal maneuvers.

Since I can't wear glasses yet, my distance vision is a blur (ho, ho, ho) and it makes for interesting viewing out the window with the dark sky and city lights. While looking for a night light picture for the blog, I found the "Earth at Night" map in jpg format. If you haven't seen this, click on the picture for the larger view. If you think we don't share this space called earth, this picture will help you re-visit that thought. Amazing considering the first electric light bulb wasn't invented until 1880 and the bright, long-lasting tungsten filament didn't get into the bulb until 1910 - if you go back just 100 years, this map would not be so bold. Not bus talk, but one thing leads to another and etc., etc., etc.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm in the dark bit, just to the right of Portsmouth (Hampshire) and a tad further to the left of Brighton (Sussex)...(actually they're both self governing "unitary" bodies now but I'm old fashioned!)

Yes my bus (the 700 running over a 60 mile stretch between the two cities mentioned above) was a bit quieter this morning - people taking days off for last minute Christmas shopping perhaps?

How long before you can wear specs again? (I'd be totally lost without mine)

Have a great Christmas M

Unknown said...

The UK is nice and bright - I'm in a large white spot in the desert southwest, surrounded by dark. The image is like a reverse constellation map - the stars looking down at us, wondering who and what we think we are. As for my specs, the dr said it will be a couple of months for the vision to stabilize so no point in spending money on glasses until then. It's a problem, but better than going blind. I can read pretty well, just no distance vision. I'm sure it will come in handy to provide the occasional excuse for certain failings. Enjoy the holidays!