13 February 2008

#4123 & #6KSomething


Thought today I would try the 92N/72N combo route again, only going one hour later. Didn't look at any schedules, just went to the stop at 7:45am. Crossing Guadalupe presented the first challenge. Traffic was fierce and I felt like a character in the old video game, Frogger. I made it to the center lane and then waited for a couple of minutes while the westbound traffic cleared. Generally, drivers in the greater Phoenix area treat pedestrians with disregard and disdain, which makes standing in the middle of a busy street a daunting experience.

Once across, I didn't wait more than a couple of minutes and a 92N bus arrived. I got on, rode to the stop on the NW corner of Guadalupe and Rural, crossed Rural and waited on the NE corner for the 72N. Yesterday, it arrived very quickly, but today did not repeat. Time passed, no 72N and I realized the 66N might come around the corner before the 72N arrived. The dilemma - which bus to take? Board the first to arrive or hold out for the 72? With a reasonably flexible work schedule, time doesn't really factor into these decisions. The 72N appeared on the horizon and stopped for the light. As predicted, the 66N turned onto Rural arriving at the stop prior to the 72N. A young man got on the 66 and I hesitated, then let the 66 continue on without me -- I wanted to experience another ride on the 72.

Not sure I made a good choice as the 72 was crowded and got more so as the ride continued. I got a seat, but in 2 or 3 stops, it became SRO. It took a lot longer for the 72 to reach College and University - I didn't get to work until 8:45am - easily 15-20 minutes later than a usual run on the 66 or 81. What a difference an hour made.

Despite the tardy travel, today's image honors my lucky location and the number of bus combos available for my use.

No comments: