06 July 2007

another 6000

I continue to struggle when writing about the ride home. I don't think the route gets as many interesting characters as the 66; however, for reasons I don't understand, I just don't want to take the 66 home. Oh well, I'll get through this block.

Last night's ride began benignly enough but suffered a semi-collapse mid-stream. We took on a wheelchair rider at University and McClintock. She wanted off at Broadway - two miles south. All went well until we reached Broadway and the bus wouldn't kneel and extend the wheelchair ramp. The driver fussed with the front door, fussed with the back door, turned everything off and everything on - all to no avail. Seated comfortably, I couldn't complain, but after awhile, wondered if the problem would resolve.

At the corner of Broadway and McClintock sits a restaurant called Ted's Hot Dogs. Ted's establishment embodies the near ultimate in sin eating. Outstanding hot dogs accompanied by simply fabulous onion rings and super delicious milkshakes - yowsa! A single meal at Ted's could easily reach the 2000-3000 calorie range - no doubt. I rarely partake at Ted's as vicious temptations usually prevail. The bus situation left me staring at Ted's Hot Dogs and the longer the bus sat, the more I considered disembarking, dining at Ted's and taking a later bus. I thought about eating and then walking down to the Southern or Baseline bus stops to work off some of the sin. However, it was hideously hot (116F) and I needed extra thought before putting the eating plan into action. While still mulling my options, the bus knelt and the problem resolved. I still could have done the Ted's thing, but once the bus was fixed, the option to continue on home overcame my desire to overeat. Thank god!

Link HERE to read about Ted's and his fabulous food.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry he doesn't quite do it for me... close perhaps but not quite on the button there...

My usual brekkers lately (more or less every day), consists two sausages, one quarter pound beefburger, one hash brown, fried mushrooms (sometimes including shitake varieties), two rashers of bacon, one fried duck egg....

Chlorestrol? what's that?

Unknown said...

Holey moley! That is a very serious breakfast menu. So what's with the duck egg? I've only eaten duck in the fully grown, Cantonese style. Do duck eggs taste different than chicken eggs? Larger? Smaller? Bacon and hashbrowns and mushrooms and sausage - all delightful but my body (and clothes) would complain if I did that every day. Any toast? muffin? scone? jam? I love to complement salty sausage or bacon with something sweet. Geez, now I'm hungry.

Anonymous said...

Duck eggs are rather larger than chicken eggs (with a correspondingly slightly stronger shell!)...The white as it starts to cook looks slightly blue-white by comparison to that of a chicken egg and stands prouder...the colour differential disappears as it cooks...the yolk is slightly darker...

It's the taste though...not so much stronger, but somehow far richer...they are beautiful for baking with too...once you've tried duck eggs I don't think you'd want to go back...

We have two laying ducks (Campbell variety) which the children brought up from day old chicks as pets...what with shelter, feed, straw etc they are far from an economic proposition (it's a scale thing I guess) and still very much pets...but oh that side-product!