07 February 2007

#4109

Once again our regular crew filled the BTA. I realized that after May, I might be the lone regular to occupy that exalted space. Bill retires at the end of February and Mark and Dave graduate in May. My life plans look pretty static right now, so I'll be left alone to carry on. Can a Brain Trust exist with only one brain? Think about that one.

Don't know what's up with the weather and the buses. We've enjoyed 80+ degree days lately and the buses aren't acclimatizing. Yesterday, on the ride home, the bus heater blasted us with warm air waves. The outside temperature was 83 and it must have been 183 inside the bus. This morning, the outside temperature was 53 (that's cold with only 12% humidity) and the bus air conditioner sent shivering waves of cold throughout the craft. In the cold mornings, waiting at the bus stop, I look forward to the warmth of the bus. It wraps around me like a blanket and keeps me snug and safe. Today, though, my protective cover was missing. Where was this air conditioning yesterday afternoon? Is bus interior climate control a challenging concept? I want the drivers to be comfortable - our lives and timely arrival depend on their ability to function well. However, I don't want to die of hypothermia in the process. Seems like a no win situation - death by uncomfortable driver or over air conditioning. It's always something.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As far as the UK goes, all too often the heating controls for the passenger section of a bus (and this does depend on the manufacturer) are (relatively) inaccesible to the driver... I've heard of them hidden beneath the back seat cushions, or in the engine compartment, or even under the bus, accessible only to the fitters...

Don't know why this is, (unless it's down to some deep-seated archaic feeling by the builders that drivers shouldn't be allowed to fiddle with anything mechanical) ...

Thereagain, over here right pond, the heating goes off in Spring and on again for winter and that's about it, so perhaps they feel frequent access isn't an issue!